Our ideal pastor will be able to:
- Encourage the Olivet congregation in the worship and service of God; to equip and enable them for their tasks within the church and their mission to the world.
- Minister to the spiritual needs of the people by increasing the awareness of the power, presence, and purpose of God.
- Share in the Church’s ministries of empathy, witness, and service.
- Devote special attention to the poor, the sick, the troubled, and the dying;
- Possess the qualities of being friendly, honest, open, caring, trustworthy, and faithful.
- Effectively lead Sunday Worship services, weddings, funerals, and all additional special worship service events which are in accordance with the Presbyterian Church (USA).
- Provide guidance and leadership to staff and volunteers of Olivet Church.
- Perform as an effective moderator of Session and of congregational meetings.
- Effectively communicate with committees and committee chairpersons when requested.
Characteristics and Qualifications:
The Olivet Pastor shall be
- welcoming, friendly and honest;
- shall have the ability and desire to work with and welcome diverse populations;
- shall be biblically literate and trustworthy; and be able to maintain a sense of humor.
This Part-time position consists of:
- worship preparation and leadership,
- sermon preparation and delivery,
- moderation of Session and Congregational meetings,
- engagement in after-worship fellowship,
- routine pastoral calls (hospital and emergencies).
Carol Horning, Clerk of Session
504 B Avenue NW
Cedar Rapids, Iowa 52405
Applications should include a current PIF and a cover letter indicating your sense of being called to this position.